The truth about living in Japan

Beyond the picturesque mountainscapes and vibrant red Tori gates lies a world of concrete skyscrapers and fashion victims.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

I'm seasonally defective

At this exact time last year I developed acute bronchitis which had me bed-bound for a week. Oh I remember well how that one came on. Jeremy was living in Showacho at the time in a tiny, one-room gaijin apartment. I woke up in his dingy hole choking on the dryness of my throat and started to feel a little off-colour.

I had to get back to my house in the nether regions of North-East Kyoto, a long trek to say the least, by the time I got off the train I could barely walk I was so weak. After the longest, short walk of my lifetime I managed to crawl in to bed and spent the next week barely able to move because I couldn't breath.

A year later and where did I spend today? In my bed, all day, coughing and feeling weak and sick. I'm not sure it's the same thing, but it seems likely as the population around me seems to suffering from cedar fever. Coming from Australia I have limited exposure to cedars, so I think my lungs are full of foreign things I just can't cope with. I'm not as bad as last year, thank god, but since my immune system really had to battle hard then just to keep me alive, I probably have a few anitbodies floating around that are keeping me atleast sane.

I want to enjoy Spring, is that too much to ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home